Turnfurlong Infant School has a Governing Body who are extremely proud of the school, its pupils and their achievements.
The Governing Body at Turnfurlong Infant School is made up of voluntary representatives that include parents of pupils at the school, staff and members of the local community. Working closely alongside the Headteacher, the Governing Body are school leaders and their responsibility is to provide strategic support and challenge to the school. Some of their key responsibilities are as follows:
- To establish the vision and plan the future direction of the school
- To agree the aims and values of the school
- To keep children safe by monitoring and implementing Safeguarding and Health and Safety policies and procedures
- To ensure that the school provides for ALL its pupils, including those with special needs, and that children make good progress from their starting points
- To work with senior school staff to identify priorities for school development and to monitor the impact of improvement plans
- To make decisions on and monitor how the school budget is managed (note: the overall budget is set by Bucks County Council)
- To monitor the impact of funding received by the school for particular purposes or groups of children e.g. Sports Premium funding, Pupil Premium funding
- To ensure that the Early Years Curriculum and National Curriculum for Key Stage One are being taught effectively
- To agree and monitor how the school supports pupils’ spiritual, moral and social development
- To agree policies that the school must have in place by law (see statutory policies)
- To be involved in the recruitment of senior staff
- To manage the recruitment of the Headteacher
- To manage the ongoing performance of the Headteacher
As a voluntary body, the Governors receive no financial reward from the school, local council or government.
Each Governor adds their own personal and professional skills and expertise, creating a rich and diverse pool with which to support and challenge the school.
In September 2013 the school became part of the Aylesbury Learning Partnership
Co-operative Trust and the governing body was reconstituted. The membership is as follows:
- 1 x Local Authority Governor
- 1 x Headteacher
- 1 x Staff Governor
- 2 x Parent Governors
- 5 x Co-opted Governors
- 2 x Trust Governors
The full Governing Body meets at least once per term. There are also two sub-committees that feed into the Governing Body, the Personnel and Curriculum Committee and the Finance and Premises committee. These committees also meet every term.
In addition to this, the Chair of Governors and the Headteacher attend trustee meetings of the Aylesbury Learning Partnership Trust once per term.